Welcome!

The "Jobless Hope" blog was created by the jobless to help the jobless. My name is Sherry Callahan and I have been jobless since July 28, 2009. My company 'eliminated' my position and sent me packing. At the time I was relieved because I was very unhappy working in that particular office. Now, a year later, I'd give anything to be back in my cubicle earning a paycheck. You don't truly appreciate something until it's gone. My blog is here to hopefully provide help to the jobless. I plan to update the site with news relative to the unemployed and give the jobless a place to speak out...to tell their story. Here you can ask questions and hopefully find some answers. I believe in helping others as much as helping myself.

**If you would like help with your resume or have any employment related questions please email me at hiresherry@gmail.com and I'll do what I can to help.




Friday, July 16, 2010

Job search efforts

Since becoming unemployed in July of last year I have tried many things to get noticed. The first thing I did was to create my personal website, http://www.hiresherry.com/. My website gives employers a snap shot of me and my resume can be viewed online. I've been advertising my website on my car. This got me noticed by the news media where KVAL did a story on my job search efforts. I have also been featured on the radio on KPNW's Wake Up Call with Holloway and Lunden. This additional publicity has definitely generated more traffic to my website. I have also created a Facebook page and Twitter account.  I also recently began advertising in an online newsletter for my industry. This advertisement got me 2 interview requests. The positions are out of the Eugene area, but it's been a while since I received an interview request so I gladly accepted the requests. I drove up to Portland on Thursday of this week and interviewed. I have a second interview scheduled for next week with one of the companies. Although the position is in Portland I have hope that it will all work out. While I'd like to stay in Eugene, at this point, after being unemployed for almost 1 year (July 28) I feel I must accept a Portland position if it is offered to me.

2 comments:

  1. The sad thing is that there are jobs left and right in places like North Dakota and Wyoming. I could go to those states and make 50% more than I do here in Lane County.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit I have never thought of North Dakota and Wyoming as the places where the jobs are. The pay level here in Lane County is very low even compared to other parts of the state. In my industry there are only about 3 agencies that would pay me the salary I am used to making which makes it that much harder for me to find a position doing what I'm used to doing. Those 3 agencies happen to be laying people off instead of hiring. Not a good situation for me. In your situation...that is really sad that the pay scale is so low that you could be earning 50% more. Oregon really needs to get on the right track if the economy is going to turn around. Right now businesses are fleeing the state. Unemployment will remain high; the pay scale will remain low; and businesses will continue to leave if something doesn't change and we need change sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete