Welcome!

The "Jobless Hope" blog was created by the jobless to help the jobless. My name is Sherry Callahan and I have been jobless since July 28, 2009. My company 'eliminated' my position and sent me packing. At the time I was relieved because I was very unhappy working in that particular office. Now, a year later, I'd give anything to be back in my cubicle earning a paycheck. You don't truly appreciate something until it's gone. My blog is here to hopefully provide help to the jobless. I plan to update the site with news relative to the unemployed and give the jobless a place to speak out...to tell their story. Here you can ask questions and hopefully find some answers. I believe in helping others as much as helping myself.

**If you would like help with your resume or have any employment related questions please email me at hiresherry@gmail.com and I'll do what I can to help.




Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Keep your chin up

How to stay positive during a long job search


By Dawn Rosenberg McKay, About.com Guide

Losing your job can be devastating. You have to deal with loss of income, loss of health insurance, and the feeling of rejection. Of course if you find a job quickly those feelings may all be alleviated. However, in a tough job market, finding a job can be difficult. Extremely talented people can be out of work for months at a time. Hopefully a combination of your severance package, unemployment insurance, and your savings will sustain you financially. COBRA (The Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act) will help you continue your health insurance for a while. The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) will help you continue your health insurance if your insurance from your employer expires before you find a new job.

The hardest part of being out of work for an extended period of time will be keeping a positive attitude when a job search turns from weeks into months. And it's imperative that you keep a positive attitude, both for your own emotional well-being as well as for the impression you give to potential employers. Here are some things you can do to keep your chin up when your job search seems to be heading downhill fast.

• While you should spend a respectable amount of time on your job search, you should take time away from it too. Find something you enjoy doing and spend a few hours a week doing it.

• Take the time to do things you don't have time to do while you're working, i.e. spending time with your children during the week instead of only on weekends.

• Take on household chores you didn't have time for when you were employed.

• Volunteer. Find a project that can use your skills and talents and spend some time on it. Just be sure not to abandon it entirely when you find a job.

• Learn a new skill. There are some free online courses available as well as low cost courses available through continuing education in your community.

• Go to a movie matinee. The crowds are much smaller and the prices are usually lower.

• Join a job hunting support group like the ones listed on the Riley Guide. Share your experiences with others in the same situation and network.

• Meet friends for lunch.

• Take long walks.

• Read:  Borrow books from your public library.

1 comment:

  1. Reaching the one year mark was very hard for me. I've been unemployed before but never for this long. I had a job offer about a month ago but it did not work out. I'm currently being considered for two positions but both companies are moving VERY slowly with the hiring process. Meanwhile my responsibilities still exist and it is very hard to make ends meet living on unemployment. I'm may lose my car if I don't find a decent paying position soon. I try to stay positive, but it is very hard.

    ReplyDelete